Logmein ActiveX Registry

I ran into a problem with LogMeIn where I couldn't access my remote/target computer through ActiveX connections - only through the Java connection. When I tried to connect through ActiveX I would get access to the desktop and then after a couple of mouse clicks LogMeIn would "freeze up". I couldn't click on the screen to open programs, close windows, etc.

From talking to LogMeIn support they said a possibility was that I was doubled NAT'ed and Java was better at negotiating those type of connections. I knew that wasn't the case because I only had 1 router in between the connection.

It turns out there is a registry key that can be edited so you longer experience LogMeIn freezing up when connecting through ActiveX. I really prefer the ActiveX connection because it gives you more options and seems to work a lot quicker (especially upon first connect).

So, if you are experiencing the same problem where ActiveX is not working, but Java is, try editing the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE\LogMeIn\V5\Net\NATUDP

Double Click the DWORD Entry "DisableEx" and change the value from 0 to 1

Note: I ran across one situation where my computer did not have the DisableEx key listed in the registry. If this happens just create a new DWORD value and name it DisableEx and give it a value of 1.

Comments

Thanks a lot for posting this fix, this problem was driving me nuts for several weeks now, one by one my computers became inaccessible with the new logmein updates; one thing is for sure, as long as they service consists of "download a zipped install package and install from there" where I even supplied them with all ogs and pointed out the stage where things go wrong, I'm not willing to pay for it, I think they are a bit victim of their own success ...

Glad to hear this helped fix your problem - thanks for letting me know ;)

Changing the register from 0 to 1 did not help me.

Logmein suggested I :

A. Once connected to the host computer, go to Preferences > General Settings. Uncheck the option Use Display Accelerator. Click OK at the bottom of the screen.

B. Please also try reinstalling the ActiveX/Firefox Remote Control plugin (linked below). (In the client computer.)

To remove the ActiveX control in Internet Explorer 6 of the client computer:

  1. Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools > Internet Options > Settings > View Objects.
  2. Locate the Performance Viewer ActiveX control.
  3. Right click and choose Remove.

I tried both of these things and neither worked.
Very frustrating.

Mike E.

A big thanks to you sir. You solved what has been annoying me for quite some time.

This is also good. The software works well, Ammyy Admin doesn't require installation or specific config, works behind gateways NAT as well as within one LAN.

Excellent tip worked a treat was causing me to think it was a worse problem than it actually was. Many Thanks.

Hey! Thanks for the share. I was facing the same problem at first. I wasn’t able to access the remote or the target computer through ActiveX connections. I tried different methods and ultimately gave up. I’m really happy to know about this procedure I will definitely check it out. Thanks a lot!!